Is a new medical / pharmaceutical sales job one of your goals for 2014? As with any resolution, to achieve the goal requires action and change. If you have been in a job search, how long is too long before you decide to change your strategy? Over the last five years, the medical sales role has experienced significant changes. The way companies hire medical sales teams have also changed. The job search strategies used five years ago simply don’t work in this extremely competitive job market.
You may feel like you have no control over your search, but you do. The job search process can be broken down into three basic areas.
1.) Your resume – it is your foundation. It is worth investing in professional resume writing services. A good resume cannot guaranty you an interview, but a bad resume can guaranty you won’t get one. A good resume will make the interview process easier as well. It should tell your story as it relates to the jobs you are targeting.
2.) The job search process – who is seeing your resume? If you are sending resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org, there is a 3% chance it will ever be seen by a hiring manager. Less than 10 out every 600 resumes submitted on-line are seen by a hiring manger. Even if you are a perfect candidate for the job, the odds are against you. Sending resumes directly to high level hiring managers will solve this problem.
3.) The interview – if you find yourself interviewing with more than 2 or 3 companies and not receiving offers, it is time to get interview coaching. You may be confident in your interview skills, but there is a reason you are not receiving offers and it needs to be identified before you lose other opportunities. Remember, the interviewer had your resume and knew your background before you walked into the meeting. If he wanted someone with more experience he would not have taken the time to interview you.
Where are you getting stuck? Little changes make a huge difference. Last year was busier than ever with medical sales rep hiring. Some of the candidates I successfully coached included:
- A Director from large pharma who had his resume rewritten to interview for an internal promotion. The revised version brought clarity to his history and helped him land the promotion.
- A National Sales Director who had been displaced. He was able to land a new position in six weeks using our coaching strategies.
- A mortgage broker who had tried to land a medical sales job for over a year. He received an offer in 11 weeks.
- A B2B rep landed a surgical sales job.
- A displaced pharmaceutical rep from big pharma. Landed in pharmaceutical sales job in four months after looking for over two years.
- A customer service rep landed a job in sales for a small biotechnology company.
The common thread for each of them was that they decided to take control of their job search. My expertise is in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and healthcare industries. My resume writing, job search guidance, and interview coaching services are focused on what works for job seekers in the current job market. If you are experiencing challenges in your job search, email me directly to schedule a consultation. My recently published (online) job search guidebook “Breaking into Medical Sales – Your Guide to Success” is available as a PDF file on our website and can be downloaded immediately.